Outreach Using Physics Demos
The Instructional Resource Lab, which provides lecture demonstrations for teaching physics and
astronomy, also supports faculty and staff outreach efforts with demonstration equipment, advice
and training. This is done as a purely volunteer activity.
Below is a partial list of activities.
- 6/13/03 (A)Talk "The Birth and Death of Stars" for the Santa Monica Astronomy club (about 20).
- 6/11/03 (M) 3-D slide show for 100 parents and students at Brentwood Science Magnet.
- 5/22/03 (A) Two one hour Planetarium-mini physics shows for Emerson School, total 100 6th graders.
- 5/17/03 (Manuel and Morales) Physics booth at outdoor Festival - Celebration of Books.
- 5/15/03 (M) One and one-half hour demo show for 70 3rd and 4th graders from Brentwood Science Magnet.
- 5/10/03 (Manuel) School demo show.
- 4/23/03 (A) Two one hour Planetarium-mini physics shows for New Roads School, total 100 kids. Joe Rudnick did the physics for the
- 4/10/03 (A) One hour demo show for 175 6th graders at Malibu High School.
- 3/29/03 (Manuel) Celebra La Ciencia - Cezar Chavez Celebration
- 3/18/03 (M) Meeting with Berkeley Physics department to demonstrate our ePhysics website and develop a collaboration for the
development and use of ePhysics in instruction. ePhysics is available to high schools, colleges, and individuals all over the world over the web.
- 2/25/03 (A) Demo show for 50 forth graders at Willow school.
- 2/19/03 (A)Planetarium show for 50 students in UCLA outreach program.
- 1/15/03 (A) Planetarium show followed by telescope viewing for 30 seniors from an Armenian Private High School
- 12/12/02 (A) Two one hour planetarium shows for Palisades Elementary
- 11/14/02 (A) Planetarium show for UCLA Development Goup
- 6/24/02 (A) One hour demo show for 40 middle school students from the Mirman
School for Gifted Kids.
- 6/24/02 (M) One hour demo show for 40 high school seniors in the Summer
- 6/22/02 (M) Three hour workshop for LAUSD science teachers on using physics
demonstrations in the classroom.
- 6/4/02 (A) One hour evening demo show for Science Night at Kenter Canyon
School for 50 parents and students.
- 5/24/02 (A) One hour demo show for 30 eight graders from CUES program for
inner city kids.
- 5/24/02 (M) One hour demo show for 60 second graders at Brentwood Science
- 5/15/02 (A) One hour demo show for 37 eighth graders from Archer School.
- 5/9/02 (A) One hour demo show at Malibu School for 200 sixth graders.
- 5/1/02 (A) 30 minute demo show on electromagnetism for 40 fourth graders
at Topanga Elementary.
- 4/11/02 (M + A) 45 minute demo show for 75 fourth graders visiting from
- 3/18/02 (M) One hour in classroom demonstrations for 60 third graders at
Brentwood Science Magnet.
- 3/14/02 (M) Hands-on demonstrations for 90 fourth graders from the Beverly
Hills Gate program.
- 3/5/02 (A) Planetarium show and viewing the Sun for 19 third graders and
8 adults from Westwood School.
- 2/26/02 (A) Talk on Time travel to 20 UCLA dormitory students.
- 2/19/02 (A) Two one hour demo shows at Willow school -- 30 4th graders,
and 60 6th-8th graders.
- 2/5/02 (A) Demo show for 300 students --- Marina del Rey Middle school.
- 8/28/01 (A) One hour demo show for 35 students in the COPE program from
- 8/1/01 (A) One hour mini demo and planetarium show for 35 students in Centenilla
- 6/29/01 (A) One hour planetarium show on Mars for 40 6th graders from Merman
School for the Gifted.
- 6/25/01 (A) Two one hour demo shows: 42 visiting students in Migrant Scholars
Program About 40 6th graders from Merman School for the Gifted.
- 6/20/01 (M) Two one hour demo shows at Brentwood Science Magnet for 80 second
- 6/14/01 (A) One hour demo show at Malibu High School for 180 middle school
- 6/9/01 (A) Two one hour demo shows on Saturday in Kn 2-115 for 40 AP CUES
- 6/08/01 (M) California/Nevada Physics Education meeting at the Exploratorium
in San Francisco. Short presentation on magnetic levitation.
- 6/1/01 (A) One hour mini demo and planetarium show for 50 students in CUES
- 5/31/01 (A) Half hour demo show for 20 students from San Pedro Middle school
- 5/18/01 (M and Enrique) Three one-half hour shows for 180 4th graders from
a Hispanic engineering outreach program, and a one hour show for 40 8th grade
honor students from Willowbrook Middle School in Knudsen Hall.
- 4/24/01 (A) One hour planetarium show for Prof. Pellegrini's honors class,
- 4/10/03 (A) One hour demo show for 175 6th graders at Malibu High School
- 4/12/01 (A) Two one hour demo shows at Willow Community School in Culver
City for 40 4th graders and then 40 middle school students.
- 4/6/01 (A) One hour demo show in Kn 2-115 for 50 inner city kids in Cues
- 3/17/01 (A) Saturday morning one hour demo show in Kn 1240 for 40 special
students from Pacoima Middle School.
- 2/28/01 (A) Regular Wednesday evening planetarium show.
- 2/27/01 (A) One hour mini demo and planetarium show for 50 students in
AP physics from Birmingham High School.
- 2/6/01 (A) Two one-hour demo shows at Brentwood Science Magnet School for
100 4th graders, and then for 30 3rd graders.